How To Take An “Adult Gap Year” Without Derailing Your CareerPosted - April 11, 2018
David Sprinkle, Managing Partner with Veritas Recruiting Group, was on Fox 35 Good Day Orlando to discuss the increasing trend in adults taking an “Adult Gap Year.” How do you know if it’s right for you and how can you take one without completely derailing your career? David provides his expert advice on the topic.
David suggest before you decide if a gap year is for you, take a few things into consideration.
How To Decide If An “Adult Gap Year” Is Right For You
- Have you fully been utilizing your allowed vacation?
- Have your vacations been used to truly disconnect and recharge?
- Are you working yourself to exhaustion? Studies show that just because an employee overworks themselves, it doesn’t guarantee career advancement.
If you do decide a gap year is right for you, here are a few things to keep in mind: Ensure you leave on good terms, show your best work before leaving and most importantly, explain your situation to management. The company, more than likely, will have to replace you, but it could be possible they’d hire you back in the future.
Once you’ve decided that this is the right move for you, David explains three key tips to keep in mind during your time off.
How To Not Derail Your Career During An Adult Gap Year
- Stay Current – In your field and area of expertise, don’t fall behind on what is going on.
- Continue Your Education – Learn more about an area of interest, advance your education or continue to grow your skill set.
- Stay Visible – Don’t disappear completely from your professional network, stay visible and connected to your peers. A great way to do this is utilizing LinkedIn.
If your company needs help finding the right talent, find out how Veritas can help, contact us today.
Candidate searching for your next opportunity? Apply Today